Saturday 13 March 2010

Making of Cicada




Cicada
2009
116cm x 91cm





I found a cicada specimen at The National History Museum.
I thought the branch-like shapes in the wings look interesting.

I was wondering if I can make abstract trial with extracting the cicada’s characteristic features such as transparent wings and skeletons. I sprinkled some solution of alum imaging some part of cicada first. Then dye paper with gold ink.

The materials being used at this stage: Japanese paper, diluted alum, gold ink cake



I liked the freedom looking of dye work. I cut the paper into 4 and mount on the board after changed their order. Added some colors and tried to observe the fractals. I realized that the color works started this way are very difficult for me if I still want to stay with original motif, cicada. Though I enjoyed colors, I decide to withhold this painting because abstraction with colors seemed large issue to be studied independently from my current project.



Split the image into 4 pieces and oxidized metallic leaves by pressing the sulfurized paper with an iron. (The same technique is used in my octopus painting.)


Trying to enhance the painting with representing the wings…




I decided to omit the panel in the right end. I think I should dye paper first to enjoy this painting more. I wanted to avoid dull symmetry looking and that is why I added some wings in left sides but now the large blank space in the right side became boring

1 comment: